Margaret Ritchie, Michelle Byrne & Mark Durkan MP

Margaret Ritchie, Michelle Byrne & Mark Durkan MP

Friday 16 April 2010

Politics and Promises

I am giving my promise, that if elected, I will take my seat at Westminster in order to fully represent everyone in South Antrim. I will be a radical voice in Westminster, opposing cuts to our vital public services and making the right decisions on issues of local, regional and global importance.

Given that the power lies in Westminster on crucial issues such as the Northern Ireland block grant, taxation power and EU/foreign policy, it is vital that everyone in South Antrim has a Member of Parliament who will be there to represent them. I will sit in the House of Commons and vote on what is best for us all. As Social Democrats, the SDLP takes your vote as a vote of confidence in our principles. I will, unlike my abstentionist opponent, use the vote you give me in Parliament rather than waste and abuse it.

Sinn Fein are contesting in this Westminster election, but do not take a seat in the House of Commons. This therefore means they represent no-one. Voting Sinn Féin for Parliament is a wasted vote.

With the threat of an incinerator in Glenavy, it is vital that South Antrim have an MP there for them and working for them in Westminster. My colleague and MLA for the area, Thomas Burns has worked extensively on ensuring the incinerator does not come to the Glenavy area.  A public consultation is needed to ensure that the voice of local people is heard. If elected, it will be my duty to guarantee those voices are represented. I will be there.

The possibility of a Tory Government will have a detrimental impact on our Health Service. The Accident and Emergency Department in Antrim Area Hospital is in need of a refurbishment, it is vital there is an MP who will be in Westminster to ensure that any proposed cuts to the NHS will not affect Antrim Area Hospital. I will be there.

In a rural constituency such as South Antrim, transport is a major issue. The closure of the Antrim – Lisburn (Knockmore) Railway has left many people in Antrim at a loss. It is important that this constituency is well served with a high standard of bus and rail services. If elected, I will pursue this fervently in Westminster. I will be there.

My 5 point pledge to the people of South Antrim:
1.  I will be there to oppose cuts in front line services.
2.  I will be there to ensure Northern Ireland receives the full budget which it is entitled to.
3.  I will be making sure that MPs' expenses including my own are subject to openness and transparency to ensure efficent expenditure of public money.
4.  I will be there to make sure that pensioners who have worked hard all their lives and paid taxes enjoy a comfortable pension.
5.  I will be there to represent the students in the North paying extortionate top-up fees.

No comments:

Post a Comment