Margaret Ritchie, Michelle Byrne & Mark Durkan MP

Margaret Ritchie, Michelle Byrne & Mark Durkan MP

Wednesday 14 April 2010

Doorstep Politics

Well, it is just after 10:30pm and I am not long in from a very successful canvass tonight in Randalstown. I bumped into Sinn Fein candidate, Mitchel McLaughlin tonight, a polite smile and few words exchanged.

I have been canvassing Toome and Randalstown since the start of the week and have been getting a very good reaction from the people on the ground. Folks in these areas are concerned about fuel prices, taxes and the economy, all of these ofcourse are controlled by Westminster. This is one of the reasons why it is essential the people of not only in South Antrim, but right throughout the North are represented at Westminster and that their views are being heard.

My canvassing week officially kicked off in Toome on Monday night. The first house I canvassed was a young woman, in her 30's, with her kids playing round her. This lady said she was not going to vote in this election as she felt there was no point, she was fed up with politicians because, "they do nothing for us."
 Well, 10 mins later, after talking to the young woman, and answering questions, she thanked me for my time and as I walked away shouted, "you'll be getting my vote."

This lady is a fine example of the reason why I got into Politics. People feel so disheartened with some of the politicians, and so disengaged. It is important that the people can place their trust in their local Councillor, MLA and MP. The SDLP have always represented the views of the people of the North in Council, Assembly and Westminster. Our Foyle MP Mark Durkan,has secured pensions for those workers in Desmonds, Derry. Dr McDonnell, South Belfast MP supported the Visteon Workers and was the only MP to visit them. Eddie McGrady, South Down MP, is currently pursuing the completion of the Drumaness Sewerage Scheme.

All 3 SDLP MP's have inspired me from a young age, and have always told me,

Politics begins on the ground.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see a young face in N.I politic's.
    we need more young people with no hang ups about the past but looking forwards for everyone.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should maybe double check the statement about Alasdair being the only MP to visit the Visteon workers, probably best with the workers themselves I'd suggest..........

    ReplyDelete