Margaret Ritchie, Michelle Byrne & Mark Durkan MP

Margaret Ritchie, Michelle Byrne & Mark Durkan MP

Tuesday 27 April 2010

Out with the old... in with the new...

On Wednesday 21st April I took part in a debate organised by local radio station 7fm. The debate was with myself, Willie McCrea, Reg Empey and Mitchel McLaughlin.

Before the debate started we had a brief conversation about i-phones and Blackberrys. I found it difficult to concentrate as I looked around the table and suddenly realised that I could have identified these men when I was a 10 year old child... it suddenly hit me how slow and unprogressive Northern Ireland politics has become. It doesn't have to be all about pale, spale, males.

This is one of the main reasons I got involved in Politics, to make a difference, to make change and to encourage our younger politically inspired folk, to come forward and re-engage with politics. For too long we have been looking at the same politicians on TV, the same ones who would rather dig up the political graves of the past than look to the future.

In this election, the SDLP are looking out for your future.

No comments:

Post a Comment