Margaret Ritchie, Michelle Byrne & Mark Durkan MP

Margaret Ritchie, Michelle Byrne & Mark Durkan MP

Tuesday 27 April 2010

Casting your first vote??

I will be speaking at a debate with the other South Antrim candidates in Ballyclare High School this week. There will be over 150 first time voters from various schools around the constituency listening eagerly to the Westminster candidates.

It was only in 2007, 3 years ago, I cast my first vote for the SDLP in the South Antrim Assembly elections. I can remember the excitement, the talk between my friends of "who did you vote for?"

I know from talking to young people on the doorstep, in schools and even talking to a lot of my friends, young people are feeling more and more disengaged from Politics. They dont know who to vote for or even why they should vote. This should not be the case. Politics is an important aspect of our daily lives, and I feel it is important that the younger members of our society, play a key role.

I am very much looking forward to chatting with the first time voters, find out their opinions and listen to the questions they have to ask me.

It wasn't that long ago I was a student in school listening to politicians mumble and grumble, I am hoping to bring a bit of change to the usual political debate.. and highlight the importance of evyerones involvement in Politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment